Yale Acquires Site for New Rooming Unit

Brown Set to Build Additional Houses

Yale University has announced the purchase of land for the construction of an eleventh upper class college. The new college, along with reductions in the number of freshmen admitted, should virtually claimant congested housing conditions, Yale officials believe.

Meanwhile, Brown University announced that construction of a $3,000,000 residential quadrangle will begin this fall. The new building, designed to house 300 students, will replace older, outmoded college rooms rather than provide new space. Brown has virtually no crowding in dormitories, because students may live in off-campus apartments.

The Yale project is the third step in an attempt to restore pre-war standards in college rooms. The first move, made in 1953, was to decrease the size of the freshman class from 1150 to 1000. This means that by 1957-58 the size of the student body will have dropped to 3700.

Construction of the new college is not planned for the immediate future, however, since the land has not yet been paid for and there are at least three buildings which have priority over the new residences. No fund raising drive is being organized as yet, and Yale officials doubt that any further definite action will be taken before 1960.

Until Yale reduced the number of admissions congestion there was roughly equivalent to Harvard's. Since then, Harvard conditions have grown worse and Yale's facilities have improved. Both colleges have facilities that were designed for about 3200 people before World War II.

Yale hopes to expand these facilities to house about 3500 with its new college, which will leave 3700 people living in rooms for 3500. Officials explained that pre-war standards were more luxurious than those now considered desirable.