Crimson Squash Team to Oppose Williams, Cornell

The varsity squash team will face its first semblance of opposition this afternoon when it faces Williams at 3 p.m. in Hemenway Gymnasium.

Although the Crimson will be heavily favored to repeat or better last year's 7-2 victory, there should be a good number of close individual contests, especially if William's number one player, Ollie Stafford, is at top playing form.

Stafford last year provided strong opposition to Ben Heckscher, whom he will face again this year, and will be going all out to take an upset win tomorrow. In the Invitational Collegiate Squash Tournament in New York this vacation, Stafford was beaten by Harvard's number three man, Larry Sears. However, Stafford was not at the top of his game in that contest, while he will definitely be "up" for this match.

Following Heckscher, Cal Place, Sears, Charlie MacVeagh, and Charlie Hamm should all meet strong opposition from the top Williams players, since the William's coaching staff perennially turns out a well-conditioned squad.

However, the problem of depth is always a crucial one in small-college teams, especially in the individual sports. The Crimson, desite the loss of number six man John Davis with a broken ankle, is, in the words of coach Jack Barnaby, "a tough team" with Henry Cortesi, Bob Hartley, Pete Lund, and Hank Holmes at sixth through ninth singles. It is in these positions that the Crimson should sew up the match.

Saturday the Squash team will fly to Cornell to play a breather match with the Big Red. Cornell is playing squash on a formal basis for the first tme this year and should offer no more than token resistance to Harvard's team, undoubtedly the strongest in the Ivy League.

For this trip Ed Wadsworth will play in the number nine position and Dick Weinberg will hold down the tenth singles spot.

The varsity will not get any stiff Ivy League competition until it plays Princeton in late February.