Faculty Meets Today to Consider Parietals, Exam-Typing Proposals

Would Take Effect Soon

The Faculty will decide the fate of proposals to lengthen parietal hours and to permit typewritten examinations when it meets this afternoon at 4 p.m.

Both of the changes have been recommended by faculty committees. If they receive the approval of the full Faculty, parietal hours will probably be extended almost immediately and exam-typing will be allowed during a trial period in the midyear exams.

Saturday night parietal hours would be lengthened from 11 p.m. to midnight in the Houses, and freshmen would be permitted to entertain women in the freshman dormitories from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sundays and from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturdays. This plan was approved by the Administrative Board in December.

The Committee on Educational Policy voted last month in favor of the exam-typing experiment and indicated that it could go into effect for a few days during the midyear exam period.

This plan has been opposed in the past on the grounds that it gives fast typers an unfair advantage over students who are unable to type. Supporters of the plan reply that the present system gives an equally unfair advantage to speedy writers, and maintain that a choice between the two is much more equitable.

The parietal hours proposal was originated by the Student Council earlier this term.