CORRECTION AND AMPLIFICATION

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The article published yesterday on "forced commuters" misrepresented my thoughts on the matter in nearly every detail. I did not say that membership in the Non-Resident Student Center should be on a voluntary basis. As a matter of fact, in 1954, I recommended to the Corporation that it be changed from a voluntary to an automatic procedure for all non-resident upperclassmen. At the present time, Freshmen who commute may join on a voluntary basis--in order that they may feel free to participate in both the Union and Dudley activities. The proven success and importance of Dudley in the House system has not been, nor do I believe will in the future be adversely affected by the Freshmen forced commuter problem.

Secondly, I did not say that if men who are presently in the resident Houses (necessarily upperclassmen), and who might wish to be non-resident were permitted to do so, that this would immediately relieve the Freshman forced commuter situation. For the moment these are two separate issues.

Thirdly I did not say that the occupation of Wigglesworth by upperclassmen is "responsible" for the problem. What I said was that because it was necessary to relieve crowding in the resident Houses by occupying Wigglesworth, the forced commuter problem in the Freshman year was intensified.

The quote concerning the possibility of admitting more students in the future than we can house is also inaccurate. Harvard has always admitted more students than it could house, and presumably always will. What I said was that we are all working for an optimal situation where students who want to be resident can be, and where students who want to be non-residents may be.

The overcrowding in the College dormitories is a deep concern to all of us here on the scene, and to the many alumni and friends of Harvard College who are currently working to build new Houses and dormitories. Charles P. Whitlock   Allston Burr Senior Tutor   of the Non-Resident Student Center