Soccer Squad Defeats Conn. Wesleyan, 5 to 3

By Jerome A. Chadwick

It would have taken more than six inches of mud and some questionable officiating to deter the Crimson soccer team Saturday, as it easily overpowered Wesleyan, 5 to 3. Once again it was a well-balanced team, offensively and defensively, which gave the varsity its second straight win after three consecutive ties.

The weather slowed down the game somewhat, but did not completely obscure the accuracy in passing which has marked the Crimson attack the last three contests. Defensive play, reduced often to a slithering tangle of bodies, was nevertheless sparked by solid tackles and checks.

McIntosh Scores Twice

Outside right Ken McIntosh scored twice for the varsity, while captain Jim Shue, Larry Ekpebu, and John Hedreen tallied once.

Wesleyan dominated play as the game opened, and set up two clear shots which went amiss. Midway in the first period inside left Dick Garbutt took a pass from his left wing and slipped a shot through goalie Tom Bagnoli to give the Cardinals a 1-0 lead.

Shue tied the game a few minutes later when he picked up a rebound from an Ekpebu shot and poked it in the nets. The Crimson went ahead as the quarter ended, when Ekpebu took a beautiful corner kick from McIntosh and put it out of the Wesleyan goalie's reach.

McIntosh scored the first of his goals early in the second period when he took a pass from Hedreen just past midfield and went all the way alone. Hedreen's score came in the third quarter on a fine pass from Shue. McIntosh closed out the Crimson scoring near the end of the third period when he lofted a corner kick which the Cardinal goalie inadvertently bobbled and kicked in the net.

Wesleyan co-captain Bo Freeman, playing at left half back, scored the other two Cardinal goals as the Crimson defense let up late in the game. The first of his scores was a gift from the officials, who called a highly-disputed (by both coaches) penalty kick for charging. The final goal of the afternon was scored as Freeman took a very good cross from his right wing and fooled Bagnoli completely.