City Council Candidate Protests Against Forced Moving of House

A Harvard alumnus candidate for the Cambridge City Council and his wife claimed yesterday that they are being forced to move their five room Colonial house from an unidentified Cambridge location within a month, or have their home destroyed.

Benedict FitzGerald '08, of Cambridge, complained that he has no place to move the house in the Cambridge area because no residential land is available. He is searching for a "75 foot plot of land within the radius of a mile and a half of Harvard Square."

It is uncertain whether the couple is being forced to move the house off University property, because the FitzGeralds refuse to give its exact location. However, Mrs. FitzGerald claimed at a recent open house for Council Candidates that "We all love Harvard, but Harvard is squeezing us out of house and home."

The candidate claims that there is a terrible land shortage in the Cambridge area, partially caused by Harvard, M.I.T., Radcliffe, and Boston University, which has caused 10,000 people to leave the city.

Fitzgerald said that the "land near the river looks as if the Russians had been there" because of the great amount of construction work. He added that this construction had helped cause the migration.

The candidate and his wife claimed that they have talked to real estate agencies and to the Cambridge Chamber of Commerce, who replied that it is "nearly impossible" to find anything but a few pieces of land for industrial purposes.

The FitzGeralds made an appeal for help in locating land to those "wishing to preserve beauty, to those paying high taxes on unused land and unused space beside or in back of their homes, and to those people who might wish to have older neighbors of maturity and discretion."

The couple have sent letters to the Cambridge Chronicle and Sun and the Boston Herald, as well as the CRIMSON, hoping that "some Harvard professor or Cambridge resident with a little land to spare will take notice of their plight."