Thirteen Enroll In New Aviation Research Center

The Harvard-Guggenheim Center for Aviation Health and Safety, established for the purpose of studying the response of the human body to extreme conditions, has enrolled 13 members in the first postgraduate course.

Ross A. McFarland, technical director of the Center, announced yesterday the award of the first Guggenheim fellowship in the Center to Dr. Thomas O. Nevison '51.

The 13 doctors and engineers, including members of the Canadian, United States, and Swedish Air Forces, will study under the "team plan," which utilizes the services of numerous specialists. Most of the departments of the School of Public Health, as well as physicians, psychologists, and physiologists will participate in the program.

Supported by a $250,000 grant form the Guggenheim Foundation, the Center is the only one of the five Guggenheim aviation research centers devoted exclusively to aviation safety.

The study program proposes to serve as a clearing house for information on aviation health and safety, in addition to its training role.