Coach Defensive, Officials Cautious, Mother Hysterical

By J. STEVEN Renkert

Thursday night's tragic incident brought forth reactions ranging from vehemence to cautious moderation, according to a survey conducted by the News.

Most outspoken of those condemning the incident was Princeton police chief John H. Smith. "We intend to prosecute those boys to the fullest extent of the law," he declared.

"We play no favorites down here."

Several Princeton students seemed inclined to support the chief. One boy remarked that he "wouldn't be surprised" if Princeton players had actually perpetrated the deed. He said several of the players he knew had "definite sadistic tendencies" and added that "they've probably done a lot worse things than beat up a townie."

By far the largest number of students, however, deprecated the whole affair. Most of those interviewed had heard nothing about the incident and consequently treated it as a hoax. "You Yale guys will do anything to win a ball game," one commented.

Nevertheless, Princeton administrators were clearly shaken by reports of the incident. Pressed for a statement, dean of students William D'O. Lippincott took a decidedly cautious stand. "There are several aspects of this case which bother me," he said. "And while it would obviously be wrong to grant football players special consideration, it would be equally unfair to keep them from playing this afternoon on the basis of evidence which may not prove conclusive."

Equally cautious was Yale dean of students, William C. DeVane. "I don't know all the facts," he commented, "but I'm sure the Princeton administration will handle the case fairly. I can't imagine that a responsible official would allow partisan feelings to influence the course of justice."

Princeton coach Dick Colman expressed complete confidence in his players. "I trust my boys implicitly," he declared.

Shelvey's mother was less conciliatory. "Larry never hurt anyone," she said. "He was so small and frail. And he wanted to go to Princeton. Why did they do it? Just tell me that. Why did they do it?"