Quaker Soccer Squad Wins 6-2

By Jerome A. Chadwick

PHILADELPHIA, Nov. 2 -- The sharp halfback play which was largely responsible for last week's win over Dartmouth was notably absent today, and the Crimson soccer team bowed to an improved Penn squad, 6 to 2. The win was the first Ivy victory for the Quakers, and dropped the Crimson to a 1-1-1 record in league play.

The varsity's attack was somewhat weakened by the absence of outside right Ken McIntosh, who did not dress for the game. Sophomore Ken Marmar filled in adequately, but lacked the experience and ball-handling skill which McIntosh shows.

Crimson halfbacks, short on reserves and forced to play most of the game without rest, were not up to par, and tired much more quickly than usual. Since the midfielders often were caught deep in Penn territory, the Quakers controlled play in the center of the field during most of the contest.

Sophomore Tom Bagnoli, substituting for injured Jim Perkins at goal, had a difficult time handling the muddy ball and let four first-period Penn goals slip through before Don MacNeil replaced him. MacNeil was scored on only by an accidental Crimson kick, until late in the final quarter, when the Quakers registered their sixth goal.

Penn scored four times in the first period, three goals coming before the Crimson was able to organize fully. Outside left Jerry Mayal started the scoring with two minutes gone, and inside right Howie Rockett tallied again, six minutes later.

Bernheim Scores Twice

Outside right Bob Strickland made it 3 to 0 at 14:15 with the first of two markers. Inside left Tom Bernheim retaliated for the varsity three-fourths of the way through the period, but Strickland scored again five minutes later.

Only one goal was recorded in the second stanza, when Crimson right fullback Chris Provenson accidentally deflected a ball past MacNeil, to give Penn a 5-1 lead.

Benheim scored his second goal for the Crimson after five minutes of the third quarter on an indirect kick, when he took a nudge pass from center forward John Hedreen and shot cleanly past Penn goalie Dick Williams.

The Crimson set up several fine scoring opportunities in the final period, but each time the varsity shot was inaccurate. Penn again began to press, and Quaker George Siminoff ended the scoring for the day with a dribbler that eluded MacNeil.