Indonesia Cancels Army Leaves As National Tension Increases; NATO Leaders Arrive in Paris

By The ASSOCIATED Press

JAKARTA, Indonesia, Dec. 12--The national crisis over ousting the Dutch sharpened today and the Indonesian army canceled all leaves and ordered its troops to remain at hand in their barracks.

President Sukarno, a target of assassins' grenades on Nov. 30, was reported by presidential palace circles to be planning to leave the country within a week for a rest because of mental and physical exhaustion.

There was no substantiation of rumors heard in Amsterdam that Sukarno had been ousted by a triumvirate including Premier Djuanda and the chief of staff, Maj. Gen. Abdul Harris Nasution, and headed by Mohammed Hatta, former vice president and Sukarno's chief partner in the Indonesian revolution.

Amsterdam newspapers were clogged with queries about reports that the island of Sumatra had declared its independence and that fighting had started in Jakarta's streets.

Singapore dispatches said communications with Jakarta were haphazard, but so far as could be learned Sukarno was still in power early Friday.

Diplomats Assemble in Paris

PARIS, Dec. 13--Foreign Ministers began assembling today for the NATO summit conference amid predictions of a jarring diplomatic battle between France and its U.S. and British allies.

The arrival of Secretary of State Dulles tomorrow is expected to precipitate a diplomatic battle, over France's demands that Britain and the United States take a friendlier attitude toward French North African problems.

Officially, the French have not formulated any demand. That will come up at a series of Cabinet sessions before the opening of the NATO summit session Monday with President Eisenhower as one of the first three speakers.

But it can be said on good authority that the French will demand assurance that no more arms will be delivered to Tunisia by Britain and the United States and that they support France's policy of staying in Algeria, despite the three-year rebellion.

More Power for Killian Urged

WASHINGTON, Dec. 12--Sen. Flanders (R-Vt.) urged today that Dr. James R. Killian be put in full charge of the U.S. missile program, with nobody over him.

Killian, president of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, is on leave from his university post and serving as President Eisenhower's special assistant for science and technology.

Flanders contended Killian had been put in the wrong place. His argument, presented at a news conference, was that Killian could be boxed in by the secretary of defense, the Joint Chiefs of Staff and other Pentagon officials with defined authority.