Student Attacked By Five Youths On Common Path

Suffers Possible Cheekbone Fracture and Bruised Eye

A teenage gang attacked and beat a freshman in the Cambridge Common at 1:15 a.m. yesterday morning.

Thomas M. Haythe '61, of Grays Hall, suffered a seriously bruised eye and a possible fracture of the cheekbone during the beating.

Haythe was attacked while returning to the Yard from Holmes Hall, where he had just left his Radcliffe date. He told the police he was approached by a youth, who asked for a match. Yhen he stopped, the boy slapped him. He managed to hit his assailant once before four other boys appeared and began to beat him also. When he finally managed to break away, his attackers also fled.

Haythe was later treated at the Stillman Infirmary and the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary.

This is the third in a series of attacks in the college vicinity this year, and the second within a week. Last Wednesday a man tried to accost a Radcliffe senior in the Cambridge Common while she was was returning to her dormitory, and on November 30 a Leverett House tutor was assaulted by four youths as he was walking back to his House along Plympton Street.