Yard Group Asks Voice On Council's Booklet

The Freshman Union Committee has formally urged the Student Council to include members of the Class of '60 in the group which will prepare a booklet for next year's incoming freshmen.

The purpose of the booklet, as described by the Council, will be to alert newcomers to the College community to both the pitfalls and advantages of Harvard life. Most of the pitfalls would reportedly be those involving merchants in the Square.

But according to Joseph Hurd '60, head of the Union Committee, two of the bigest pitfalls are actually College organizations, the Yearbook and the Student Council. He explained that the Council, through its eager solicitation of unwary freshmen during the first days of the year, is able to raise half of its total funds for the year from that class alone.

Larry R. Johnson '58, President of the Student Council, said last night that the Council had intended to include several members of the freshman class on its booklet committee, but he refused to comment on the statistic concerning the percentage of total funds given by freshmen.

"High-Pressure" Techniques

Hurd also said that "high-pressure" techniques on the part of the Yearbook resulted in many freshmen paying a one dollar down-payment for the Yearbook, under the impression that it was part of the price of the Freshman Register.

At first, according to Hurd, the Yearbook threatened to send books home to parents C.O.D. to assure payment, but later, after speaking with representatives from the Union Committee, it made arrangements for refunds for those who did not want a Yearbook.

The freshmen on the Council booklet committee would act as as advisors, giving the Yardlings' point of view on both city merchants and College organizations.