Doctors Discuss Medical Careers At Meeting Here

Three physicians from various branches of medicine discussed the general questions of the qualifications for a good doctor and the opportunities in a medical career last night at the Career Conference held in the Winthrop Junior Common Room.

Robert F. Loeb, M.D., Bard Professor of Medicine at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, said that the three most important qualificaios for a physician were 1) compassion and understanding, 2) being a cultured human being, and 3) a grasp of the medical sciences.

Problems of Private Practice

Francis F. Cary '34, M.D., a practitioner in Greenfield, Mass., pointed out some of the problems that arise in the setting up of a private practice, emphasizing the growth of group medicine in America.

The one surgeon in the group, Francis D. Moore '35, M.D., Moseley Professor of Surgery, in discussing the relation of the surgeon to the patient, said that the surgeon, more than other types of physicians, must be able to avoid too great an emotional involvement with his patients in order to practice effectively.

In the discussion following the talks, these doctors, and Dean Berry of the Medical School, discussed the changing curriculum of medical schools, especially the shortening of training.