Favored Crimson Hockey Team Meets Dartmouth Sextet Tonight

NCAA Hopes Rise

By James W. B. benkard

The varsity hockey team's NCAA hopes received a boost yesterday when Coach Harry Cleverly of the B.U. sextet and alternate on the Eastern NCAA selection committee predicted that, "barring upsets," Clarkson and Harvard will go to Colorado. Tonight at 8 p.m. on Watson Rink, an underdog Dartmouth team will do its best to provide such an upset.

A Green victory, however, does not seem to be in line, for in the teams' last meeting, the Crimson trampled Dartmouth, 8 to 3, at Hanover before a wildly partisan crowd.

The visitors' two best players, defenseman Dan Goggin and their temperamental goalie, Dirk Frankenburg, will have a very hard time stopping the Crimson's three platoon system of lines, which has scored 28 goals in its last three games.

Cleverly told the Boston Globe, "If Harvard wins its last four games, I don't see how you can keep them out of the tournament. I'd hate to have a 21-3 record and be turned down," he continued. The B.U. coach, whose team has played both Clarkson and St. Lawrence, said that the Crimson had more scoring power and depth than the Larries, the varsity's closest rival for the NCAA slot.

Tonight's game will introduce Frankenburg to Watson Rink's famous goal-baiters in an experiment which should prove very interesting. Crimson Captain and goalie, Jim Bailey was liberally baited at Hanover last week, and he responded by playing one of his best games of the season. Frankenburg's reaction to such tactics, which has been known in the past to be explosive, should prove ample fare for voracious Watson fans.

Crimson coach Cooney Weiland is expected to start his usual lineup of Lyle Guttu, Bob Cleary, and Paul Kelley at first line, Ed Owen and John Copeland at defense, and Bailey in the nets.