Problems

Every department has its problems, but the English Department can boast of an astounding number of difficulties. As a result of heavy course requirements, tutorial structure, and internal organization of courses, the English major and especially the candidate for honors is beset by many unfortunate and some time unnecessary problems.

The concentrator's first contact with his field comes in the introductory survey course, English 10. If he is an honors candidate, he will have to read at least half the English 10 reading list in some later course. He might feel that he is wasting time, or at least duplicating effort. If he appeals to the department for freedom or sympathy he is given or rather, has to purchase, "A Tutorial Bibliography of English Literature," which outlines the six periods which he must cover if he wants to graduate with honors. Each period is so large, and some periods are so difficult to cover in a single course, that the concentrator must all but forget courses outside side his own field. Also, the requirements make it difficult to examine any one period in depth.

The combined pressure of required courses, required periods, and a tutorial bibliography should be relieved by a kind of tutorial which can give personal interests a freer rein. But the Department's tutorial program, as it now exists, only adds to the aggravation. Sophomore tutorial exists in name only, since groups are formed out of English 10 and really just serve as section meetings for that course. This is unavoidable for non-honors as well as honors candidates. Certainly solid background is a necessary prerequisite for a good student and scholar, but a liberal education must mean more than general knowledge.

A year later, the English major is usually asked by his tutor, "What period is your weakest?" and then proceeds to tell him. The tutor is a rare exception who is more concerned with his tutee's desire than with the Department's stipulations. In his senior year, the English honors candidates must race more busily than ever through required books and courses so that if the tutor did wish to give him a free intellectual rein, thesis and general requirements are too oppressive a weight to permit it.

Establishment of a genuine sophomore tutorial program for honors candidates is not in itself a solution, although it would be a welcome change. Unless the tutorial bibliography pressure is reduced (or just removed) and unless the six periods requirement is eased or courses organized so that the periods can be covered more easily, the English major will still be beset by too many pressures.

As a first step, the English Department should recognize the need for a true sophomore tutorial, and for a departmental organization more encouraging to individual initiative.

If the Department can scrape up the enthusiasm and, with the help of the Administration, some money, the English major need no longer struggle under the burden of a weak tutorial program and restrictive requirements.