HLU Pushes Plan For Reorganization Of Political Forum

A Harvard Liberal Union-sponsored proposal for the revival of the Political Forum will receive its first test next Wednesday night, when the presidents of the ten undergraduate political clubs will report on the interest of their members for reorganization of the group.

Harold J. Goldfarb '57, president of the HLU, has urged the rebirth of the Forum for the purpose of "facilitating the free expression of ideas among the club members."

Goldfarb emphasized that the organization is still in the formative stage. He expressed hope that the Forum this year will be able to avoid the intramural squabbles over individual club sovereignty that caused disorganization of the group at the end of last year.

HYRC Crippled Forum

At that time the refusal of the Young Republican Club, headed by John Thomson '57, to participate in the Forum crippled it almost fatally. Thomson was charged with having influenced Senator John Bricker (Rep.-Ohio), to cancel his scheduled speech before the Forum on his controversial amendment. Thomson refused to commit his club because he felt that the HYRC, as the largest political organization in the College, was not receiving sufficient representation and that his organization should function "in a completely independent and distinct frame of reference."

Norman William Smith '58, presidentelect of the HYRC, has expressed enthusiasm for the Forum and reportedly will participate in next Wednesday's meeting.