Varsity Team Loses, 8-3, TO Boston Lacrosse Club

By Kenneth Auchincloss

The varsity lacrosse squad, plagued by early-season lack of teamwork and generally unpolished offensive play, was defeated 8 to 3 by the Boston Lacrosse Club in its opening home game Saturday.

The strongest point of the varsity's game was the defense, which, especially during the first half, skillfully broke up most of the Club attacks. The Crimson defensemen got only mediocre support from the midfield players, however, and as a result the Club was able to keep the ball in Harvard territory for the majority of the game.

The Lacrosse Club's Tom Corcoran, who scored three goals during the afternoon though he was closed guarded, put the winners ahead with a long shot into the Crimson nets midway through the first quarter.

But early in the second period the score was tied when varsity defenseman Jim Herscot, to the surprise of both teams, carried the ball the length of the field and tallied an unassisted goal for the Crimson.

Dick Pille sent the home team ahead for the only time in the game when, later in the sane quarter, he scored with two Crimson players off the field on penalties. The Lacrosse Club attack was becoming gradually more organized, however, and it retaliated with three goals--two by Corcoran and one by Albie Wells--in the space of one minute.

During the second half, the Crimson team failed to maintain any real offensive drive, and the attackers missed repeated opportunities to take shots at the Club goal. Faulty passing and poor control of loose balls prevented the varsity from keeping the ball in Lacrosse Club territory long enough to score.

Wells and Ed Turner sent the Club ahead 6 to 2 with goals in the third period. In the early seconds of the final cuarter Carl Apthorp lured Crimson goalie Dick MacKinnon out of the nets and just managed to tap the ball past him into the goal before being blocked out.

Jim Gale tallied the final Crimson score minutes later, but by then the winners were out of reach. Turner made it 8 to 3 with his second goal of the afternoon,