Crimson Power Downs Indians 88 1/2-51 1/2 to Open Track Season

By William C. Sigal

Displaying the power which carried it to the indoor Heptagonal title, the varsity track team won eleven events and took both second and third in the other four to overwhelm Dartmouth, 88 1/2 to 51 1/2 in the opener of the outdoor season in the Stadium Saturday.

At the same time, the freshmen avenged an earlier loss to the Dartmouth freshmen, ekeing out a close 74 2/3 to 65 1/3 win.

Senior Pete Harpel led a Crimson sweep of the hammer, as he broke Sam Felton's seven-year-old record of 180 feet, 5 1/4 inches with a toss of 182 feet, 4 1/2 inches. John DuMoulin and Jim Doty took second and third for the varsity.

Dartmouth failed to enter a man in the two-mile, giving the varsity an automatic sweep, with Pete Reider edging out team-mate Dyke Benjamin, with Dave Norris third.

Because of a strong wind blowing up the straightaway, most of the times were disappointing. Lone exceptions were the half mile and the mile, in which Dartmouth's incredible Doug Brew unleashed finishing kicks to edge Crimson runners.

In the mile, Brew came from nearly 20 yards behind in the last three-quarters of a lap to nip Pete Reider by a step in 4:18.4.

Coming back less than an hour later, Brew made up a 10-yard deficit in the last 100 yards of the 880 to catch Jim Cairns at the wire. Brew and Cairns were both timed in 1:56.4.

Joel Landau turned in one of the finest varsity performances, completely outclassing all his opposition in both the 120-yard high hurdles and the 220 lows. He also finished a close second to teammate Sandy Dodge in the 100-yard dash.

Dartmouth's Jim Wooster just managed to outsprint Dodge and Dick Wharton to win the 220. Earlier, Wharton had come from behind to beat Wooster by two yards in the 440.

In the field events, Henry Wente and Dave Gately took first and second for the varsity in the broad jump, while John deKiewiet figured in a three-way tie for first in the high jump. Carl Pescosolido unleashed a toss of 201 feet, 3 inches to win the javelin, while Doty took the shot. Tony Gianelly took the other Crimson first as he won the discus. Barnes Keller took second for the varsity in the pole vault.

The Yardlings swept both the broad jump and the two-mile, and took first and second in both the mile and the pole vault. Ed Martin won both the mile and the two-mile, while Pat Liles won the broad jump and placed second in both dashes.