Crimson Baseball Squad To Face Holy Cross Here

By Richard T. Cooper

The Crimson baseball team will risk its seven-game daisy chain four times this week, first against a somewhat ominous sounding Holy Cross team at 3 p.m., on Soldiers Field. The Crusaders have a two and one record, having powdered Dartmouth (15-4) and Tufts (20-7), but dropping to Colgate, 6 to 5.

Bob McGinnis is expected to start on the hill for the varsity, with Dave Brigham likely to come in before the end. McGinnis and Brigham combined Saturday to get the Crimson through its first close one, against Army, 6 to 5.

For Holy Cross, it will reportedly be Jim Farino, a 6 ft., 3 in., 200 lb. sophomore who won three, lost none, and struck out 45 in 27 innings of freshman ball last year.

Farino Won MVP

According to Holy Cross sources, Farino won the MVP award pitching against Brooklyn Dodger rookies, and was highly sought after by professional scouts in general upon graduation from Mamaroneck, N.Y., high school, where he was an All-Westchester County selection for two years.

Good Pitcher Means Trouble

If Farino really does throw with a golden arm, the local varsity may well be in for a troubled afternoon. The Army game made it clear that the Crimson's regularly voluminous attack is apt to shrink before a good pitcher.

The Cadets' ace, Jack Shepard, held to four hits a varsity that has totaled 122 bases, according to unofficial hitting statistics complete through the Army game. Shepard gave up only four of the 58 bases on balls which have come to the Crimson.

Agressive Tactics

On the other side, the varsity displayed smart and aggressive tactics at West Point, stealing five bases (season's total: 24), including a double steal in the top of the sixth that put captain John Simourian in position to score on Matt Botsford's single.