Harvard Faculty Awards Students Scholastic Prizes

Simourian Receives Award For Athletic Achievement

The following prizes have been awarded by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences:

The William J. Bingham Award for leadership and ability on the athletic field went to John A. Simourian '57; the Wister Prize to Robert S. Freeman '57 as the senior concentrator with the highest scholastic record in the Music Department; and the Eric Firth Prize to Tatsuo Arima '57 for a thesis entitled, "Uchimura Kanzo: A Case Study of the post-Meiji Japanese Intelligentsia."

The James Gordon Bennett Prize was awarded to David P. Bryden '57 for a thesis on federal court decision in sedition cases, and the Philo Sherman Bennett Prize to Michael Marina '57, for his thesis entitled, "Conflict of Interest in Democratic Administration: A Study of the United States Executive."

The Korean War Memorial was given to David A. Norris '58, and the Endicott Peabody Saltonstall Prize was given to Michael A. Cooper '57. The prize goes each year to a pre-law senior of "outstanding intellect, character, and physique."

Barbara Anne Miller '59 won the top James Bryant Conant Prize for her Nat Sci essay entitled "Solem Fixit, Movit Terram." Second prize went to Mary Mitchell Jones '60 for an essay entitled, "The Theory of Verifiability."

The Clemens Herschel Prize for meritorious work in practical hydraulics went to Robert H. Stewart 1G, with second prize going to Robert J. Smith. Austin B. Mason won the Stanley George Elliott Prize for meritorious work in soil mechanics.