Harvard-Yale Squad Will Meet Oxford-Cambridge Track Team

By William C. Sigal

Twelve members of the varsity track team and 11 from Yale will make up the combined Harvard-Yale track squad which meets Oxford-Cambridge in the Stadium June 22. Of the 16 meetings between the two teams, each side has won eight. The meet is decided on the number of first places each team wins, second places being counted only in case of a tie.

Six of these 12 left for Austin, Texas, yesterday to compete in the annual N.C.A.A. championships. Senior Jim Cairns and junior French Anderson have entered the 880, while captain-elect Pete Reider, holder of the University mile record of 4:11.0, and sophomore Dyke Benjamin will run the two-mile. Joel Landau, the sophomore standout, who won both hurdles events in the recent Heptagonals and placed third in the IC4A lows will run his specialty, while another sophomore, Sandy Dodge, will enter the dashes.

As usual, the Americans will have the edge in the field events and the hurdles, with the English holding sway in the distances. Oxonian Derek Johnson, runner-up to Tom Courtney in the Olympic 800 meters, appears the standout on the O-C squad. His times in the 440, 880, and mile are all impressively under the bests of the Americans. In the 880, he will encounter Yale's John Slowik and Cairns, while in the 440 he will meet Anderson, and Crimson captain Dick Wharton.

There seems little need for him to run the mile, as the English have two other runners who have bested 4:10 Crimson freshman Ed Martin along with the varsity's Phil Williams, a doubtful starter, will try to match O-C's power. Reider and Benjamin will handle the two-mile.

Landau appears to be the best bet in both hurdles, with Yale's Dick Fisk giving him ample support. Dodge, and Yale's outstanding freshman sprinter Steve Snyder will handle the 100, with another Eli, John Halpern, teaming with Snyder in the 220.

Rhodes Scholar Art Siler, who captained last year's Crimson varsity, has a distinct edge in his specialty, the discus, as he faces Elis Dick Winterbauer and Bill Stack, neither of whom has come within ten feet of his best toss. In the shot, however, Winterbauer and another Yale freshman, Bill Markel, rate the edge.

O-C has a 23-foot broad jumper in James Grant, while the best Yale's Roger Miller has done is 22 feet, 11 inches. The other Crimson freshman, Pat Liles, will be the other broad jumper. In the pole vault, Yale provided Jim Beckman, whose 13 feet, 6 inches, is seven inches better than his nearest English rival.