Winthrop Junior Dies on Mountain

Thomas H. Flint '58 of Winthrop House and Concord, Mass., was found dead at the top of New Hampshire's rocky Mt. Madison yesterday by two companions from whom he had become separated on a mountain climbing expedition. The survivors were Burt M. Perlmutter '58 and Edward Snow, a student at Emerson College.

Perlmutter said that the trio had camped near the foot of the mountain on Saturday night, and started for the top on Sunday. They later became separated, and when Perlmutter and Snow reached a hut at the top of the mountain they were unable to locate Flint.

A thick fog made an extensive search impossible on Sunday, and the two spent the night in the hut. They located Flint's body yesterday morning, about a third of a mile away. Flint had apparently fallen to his death during a rainstorm the day before.

The two survivors could not be reached last night, and were understood to have accompanied a detachment of soldiers which had been dispatched from nearby Camp Dodge Testing Station to recover the body. The detachment had left on the 13-mile trip in the afternoon, and was making progress at the rate of about one mile per hour. They were expected to return to the Racine House Hotel, in Randolph, N.H., early this morning.