Colman Hopes Caldwell Will Make Early Return

By Kenneth Auchincloss

Richard W. Colman, acting coach of the Princeton football team since the announcement of head coach Charlie Caldwell's leave of absence Monday, said last night that he hopes to see Caldwell back at his post "much sooner than the early newspaper reports have suggested."

Caldwell, highly regarded throughout the country as both a coach and a leading theorist of the single-wing formation, was granted a medical leave of absence for the remainder of the season in order to recuperate from a lingering infection of the intestinal track "that could lead to complications."

Colman termed Caldwell's loss "a great challenge" to the Tiger squad. "Charlie's leadership has made a big difference to the team," he said, and added, "I'm only beginning to realize how big." Princeton has been rated a strong contender to take the Ivy League football championship.

Though Colman will be in complete charge of the team, he said he would be in very close contact with Caldwell throughout the season. In requesting a leave of absence, Caldwell ruled out the possibility of his merely easing off on his coaching duties. "Football has become such an exacting science that part-time coaching, if only for a period of weeks, is extremely unwise," he said.

Caldwell's forced withdrawal was "very unexpected," according to Colman. "He was fine this summer and very active in training camp earlier this month."

Colman took charge of the team last week when Caldwell returned from training camp for a medical check-up after a recurrence of the ailment that had hospitalized him briefly earlier this year. Caldwell returned to direct a scrimmage on Saturday but had to retire during a practice session the next day.

The new coach said that no one at Princeton was complacent about the Tigers' chances for the Ivy League title. "We've been put I don't think the players or coaches here think that's where we belong."

The Tigers will open their season this Saturday against their traditional rival, Rutgers.