'Radcliffe News' Editorial Attacks Exam Proctoring as Infringement

An editorial in the last issue of the Radcliffe News asserted that joint final exams, if conducted under Harvard procedure, will infringe on the Radcliffe honor system.

The protest was prompted by a recent announcement by the Annex's dean of instruction that in the future each instructor will decide if he wants to give joint exams for Harvard and Radcliffe.

Hope Mourousas '58 and Janet C. Ross '58, co-editors of the News, explained that in a Radcliffe exam the supervisor merely administers the test and "often leaves the room, reads, or is otherwise engaged during the course of the final."

Objecting to the closer supervision of Harvard exams, the editors cited that, "Many is the girl who tells the story of having been followed to the very door of the 'Ladies' Room' by a proctor."

Miss Mourousas and Miss Ross suggested that a re-evaluation of the Harvard exam system might be in order.

"Are we to understand," the editors wrote, "that eventually and through a slow, sure procedure Radcliffe is abandoning its honor system with regard to exam-taking? Is it to be given up without a struggle? We say 'No.' It must not be lost so effortlessly!"