Varsity Wrestlers Bow to F & M

Again facing one of the top teams in the East, the varsity wrestling squad carried Franklin and Marshall into the final match Saturday night before bowing by a 16-11 count.

Before an enthusiastic crowd estimated at half the F & M student body, co-captain Charles Pfrommer pinned Crimson heavyweight Ted Robbins at 5:13 to hand the varsity its second straight defeat. In two years of varsity competition Pfrommer has been beaten only by Cornell's Dunlop, who defeated Robbins last month. Thus, the Crimson wrestler in his first two starts has met a pair of the best heavyweights around.

Captain Joe Noble and ex-captain Bob Foster remained undefeated for the Crimson, winning easily over their F & M opponents. Noble, at 157, outclassed Skip Taylor and came up with a 4-0 decision. Wrestling at 177, Foster routed Ed Keyser by a 13-1 count, and might have pinned his man had the match run half a minute longer.

The other Harvard victory was scored by Dave Skeels, who beat Jim Alsbaugh at 120 by 7 to 4. Pete Stanley, at 167, gained the remaining Crimson points in a draw with F & M's Dave Thomas. In the day's most exciting match, Stanley developed a floating rib during the second period. The injury made it difficult for him to breathe, but Stanley hung on and was ahead on a time advantage until the final seconds. Then the referee called the Crimson wrestler for stalling and gave Thomas a point and the draw.

Harold Pouser at 123, John Watkins at 137 and Nick Estabrook at 147 lost on decisions.