Wrestling Squad To Meet M.I.T.

By Peter J. Rothenberg

Defeated by strong opponents in its last two outings, the varsity wrestling team will seek its first victory of the season tonight at M.I.T. against an underdog Engineer squad.

Captain Joe Noble and ex-captain Bob Foster, victorious against Cornell and Franklin and Marshall, are favored to maintain their unbeaten records. Noble, at 157, will face Tech sophomore John Sullivan, who is 1-1-1 in varsity competition this year, while Foster, at 177, meets junior Bob McCullough, who has a 2-1 mark.

M.I.T., in three matches to date, has defeated the University of Massachusetts and Tufts, and bowed to Wesleyan. None of these schools is noted for their wrestling teams, and the Engineers, with a sophomore-studded squad, figure to offer little competition for the Crimson.

Tech's strongest wrestler is 167-pound Reed Freeman, a sophomore who is unbeaten in three starts. He will face Pete Stanley, who is still bothered by a rib injury suffered against F & M last Saturday. Sophomore Andy Bulfer, who meets Dave Skeels at 130, has the only other winning record on the M.I.T. squad, 2-1.

Hal Pouser, at 123, will wrestle Stan Park, a junior transfer student from Bowdoin who pinned a 137-pounder against UMass. At 137, John Watkins, a Crimson victor against Cornell, faces Dave Lathan, another of the six sophs on the Tech squad.

Still another soph, Bob Forsten, who has been pinned in both his starts at 147, meets the varsity's Nick Estabrook. In the heavyweight division, Ted Robbins, defeated by two of the top men in the East, Cornell's Dunlop and F & M's Pfrommer, should have much easier going against Engineer soph Jack Smith.