A.A.A.S. Meeting Receives Papers On Harvard Work

Harvard scientists made major contributions to the recent meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science during its meeting in Washington, D.C. Papers ranging from the production of artificial jade crystals to the role of an "educational revolution" in shaping the future of the Western world were delivered by Harvard professors.

Paul LeComte 7G described important experiments in the field of high-pressure physical geology under the direction of Francis Birch, Sturgis Hooper Professor of Geology, which are attempting to reveal the nature of unexplained structural discontinuities just below the earth's outer crust.

Talcott Parsons, professor of Sociology, spoke on the theoretical aspects of science and education and suggested to the A.A.A.S. that the alliance of science and industry in the Western world could be traced to what he called an "educational revolution" as well as to the "industrial revolution."

The most important aspect of the educational revolution is the expansion of our educational system at the highest level, thus producing more and more men with graduate training. This in turn has made possible the entry of science into the main structure of our society, Parsons said.