Varsity Wrestlers Lose to Cornell; Foster Breaks Friedman's Streak

The Crimson wrestling team lost its first match of the season, 15 to 9, to a rugged Cornell squad on Friday, Dec. 19. There were no pins in the meet, which was featured by Bob Foster's rousing conquest of Cornell's previously undefeated Steve Friedman.

Dave Skeels and Hal Pouser of the Crimson lost to D. C. Auble and G. S. Willis in the 123 and 130 lb. divisions, as Cornell jumped out to a 6-0 lead. The varsity's John Watkins reversed the trend by defeating R.E. Jones of the Redmen at 137, but Jim Estabrook dropped a close 5-4 decision to J.E. Carter in the 147 lb. class, and the Crimson trailed 9-3.

In the 157 lb. match, Crimson captain Joe Noble blanked R. Munson by a 5-0 count. Cornell roared right back in the 167 lb. class, as P.M. Oberlauer shut out the varsity's Peter Stanley, 6 to 0.

Foster Upsets Friedman

Then came the upset of the night. Foster decisioned Redman Friedman, who had been undefeated in dual meets for four years, by a 13-9 margin in a wild and woolly contest at 177. Foster nearly pinned his rival in the second period with a fireman's carry that netted him five quick points. He scored four points in the final period to break a 9-9 tie.

With the team score at 12-9, the Crimson had a chance to tie the Redmen in the final match. However, D.R. Dunlop of Cornell ended the varsity's surge by soundly defeating Ted Robbins, 6 to 0 in the heavyweight division.

Future Hopeful

Cornell may be destined for the Eastern championship, and the Crimson's showing was good enough to promise a successful season, according to Bob Bray, manager of the squad. The varsity more than lived up to expectations by carrying the contest into the last bout, Bray said.