Fencing Team Opens At Home; Wrestlers, Squash Team Travel

The varsity fencing team opens its season with an Ivy League match against Cornell tomorrow at 2 p.m. in the I.A.B.

Cornell seems to be weaker than last year, when it finished in second place. The Crimson has more experience since its last place finish in 1957-58, and will start eight lettermen, among them Captain Bill Trebilcock at foil. Senior Manual Cabral will lead the sabres, and junior Jim Roberts will be number one epee.

The favored squash team will travel to Ithaca, N.Y., for a Saturday afternoon meeting with the comparatively weak Red Raiders. The perennially talented Crimson has been undefeated in four matches. Although competing after a vacation lay-off, Captain Charlie Hamm, Gerry Emmet, and company are expected to gain a rout, if not a shutout at Cornell.

Meanwhile, Coach Bob Pickett's wrestling team will compete for the first time since losing to Cornell on Dec. 19. The Cornell wrestlers are favorites in the Ivy race, and the score, 15 to 9, indicated that the varsity matmen have strong potential. Their match at Lancaster, Pa., tomorrow night against Franklin and Marshall, a renowned wrestling school, is a "test" for them. The Crimson did not face Franklin and Marshall last year. Former captain Bob Foster in the 177-lb. class pulled an upset in the Cornell match, and will be a Harvard standout this season. Captain John Noble at 157, and 137-pounder John Watkins were the other winners in the last contest, and should be favorites tomorrow.