City Votes Down Traffic Change

The second of two recent attempts to reverse the flow of traffic on Quincy St. proved unsuccessful yesterday. A meeting of the Traffic Board unanimously agreed to reject the proposed change of direction between Harvard St. and Cambridge St.

This action followed that of the Cambridge City Council on Sept. 21 rejecting a motion by Councilor Joseph D. DeGuglielmo for a 30 day trial of the new street pattern. Backers of the proposal claimed it would relieve the traffic through Harvard Square. Buses and other vehicles going north to Arlington and North Cambridge would be able to cut across behind the Yard.

Fire Department Objects

Primary objection came from the Fire Department which protested that Quincy St. provides the only route for its equipment to get to the south side of Cambridge.

Fire Chief Timothy White pointed out that during this month trucks have used the Quincy St. route 27 times. There is no other street as suitable for the Fire Department, he stated, declaring that the alternatives are to go two blocks east on Ware St. or around through Harvard Square and down congested Massachusetts Ave.