Crimson, Ephs Battle to Scoreless Tie

By Michael S. Lottman

In an even contest that see-sawed back and forth for 98 minutes, the varsity soccer team and the Williams Ephmen fought to a scoreless tie here yesterday. In the Ephs the Crimson met a determined, well-trained eleven, and the resulting struggle was a battle of equals in every respect.

The speedy Crimson line made many prolonged forays into Williams territory, but a mistake on offense or a sparkling Eph defensive play put an end to every threat. Hampered by inaccurate passing, the varsity's attack showed the same fault that has characterized it all season--the lack of a real scoring punch.

Led by wings Tommy Thoms and Clyde Buck and inside John O'Donnell, the Eph offense also threatened several times. But Crimson fullbacks Lanny Keyes and Tim Morgan and goalie Tom Bagnoli presented an impermeable defense that was able to rise to the occasion.

For the Crimson, Lary Ekpebu was outstanding. Back at his old position, wing, for most of the second half, Ekpebu twice stormed the Williams goal single handedly after dribbling through the entire defense.

In the frantic second overtime, Ekpebu almost gave the Crimson a victory when he took a perfect pass from inside Bruce Johnstone and booted a hard crossing shot just inches above the crossbar. With one minute to go, Williams had a chance to put the game away after Eph center Ben Henszey got loose for a clear shot from 10 feet away. But Henszey hesitated too long, and charging Crimson defenders forced him to shoot high and to the left.

Keyes Plays Outsandingly

Varsity captain Keyes consistently ruined Williams' offensive plans. The Eph goalie, Bob Adams, periodically admonished his teammates to "get past the big guy if you have to crawl over him," but Keyes stopped everything. Early in the third quarter he came staggering out of a collision near the Crimson goal, holding both hands to his head and obviously badly dazed. Nevertheless, he stayed in the game.