Conant, Cabinet Member to Talk At Chem Lab Dedication Monday

Building Is First Addition Since 1928

James B. Conant '14, President Emeritus, and Arthur S. Fleming, Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare, will speak Monday at the dedication of the new chemical laboratory. President Pusey will preside over the ceremony.

The new building, the first addition to the University's chemical laboratories since Mallinckrodt and Converse were built in 1928, increases the department's working space by one-third and will house research and teaching facilities for both graduates and undergraduates.

Construction funds came jointly from the National Institute of Health and the Program for Harvard College.

One of the features of the new building is that the size and arrangement of individual laboratories can be altered to accomodate different - sized research groups and projects by moving the light-metal room partitions.

The laboratory, designed by Voorhees, Walker, Smith, Smith, and Haines is sound-proofed and air-conditioned, with separate controls in each room. In addition to explosion-proof cold chambers, which can be kept as low as -22 degrees, there are rooms with temperature-humidity controls. These can be set anywhere from 130 degrees and 100 per cent humidity to 30 degrees and no humidity.

The 3 p.m. dedication is open only to those with invitations.