Police Begin Drive To Stop Infractions Of City Bike Laws

By Mary ELLEN Gale

Beginning a drive to halt mounting violations of Cambridge bicycle laws, the city police force yesterday took the names of 127 bicycle-riders observed breaking Cambridge traffic regulations.

The drive will continue until bicycle-riders learn to be "safety-conscious," stated Sgt. John E. McCarthy, who is heading the effort. "Our primary purpose is to make Cambridge residents realize that this is a very dangerous neighborhood," he emphasized.

Radcliffe students constituted a "very large majority" of the offenders yesterday, McCarthy noted. "We may send the names of Radcliffe violaters to the Dean of Residence," he added, "and let her decide what to do."

According to Mrs. Imogene O. Fish, assistant Dean of Residence, the college has made no definite plans for disciplining violators of bicycle regulations. "I certainly hope we will not have to try to forbid bicycle riding," Mrs. Fish stated pointing out that such a rule would be very difficult to enforce.

Cumulative records of infractions of bicycle laws will be kept by the Police Department; and, if necessary, repeated offenders may be summoned to court or have their bicycles confiscated for a period of 15 days. Yesterday, McCarthy commented, several girls were stopped two or more times for separate violations.