CCA Says Local Ballot May Have Been Altered

District Attorney Orders Investigation Into Question of Tampering With Absentee Vote

By Thomas M. Pepper

Middlesex County District Attorney John J. Droney yesterday ordered an immediate investigation of Cambridge Civic Association allegations that an absentee ballot cast in the Cambridge city election may have been tampered with.

The CCA, through its president, Hans F. Loeser, presented to the District Attorney a signed statement from a lady--a shut-in, who has voted by absentee ballot--which asserts that her first-choice vote for a CCA-endorsed candidate had been changed to a first-choice vote for Walter J. Sullivan, a candidate not endorsed by the Association.

In her statement, the woman related a series of events that aroused her suspicions about a man who told her he was a notary public sent by the Election Commission to notarize the ballot, as required by law.

The statement goes on to say that an inspection by the woman and two Election Commission officials disclosed that the number "1" which she said was originally placed opposite the name of Joseph A. DeGuglielmo had been changed into a number "4." Further, the statement says, a new number "1" was placed opposite Walter J. Sullivan.

"I know that I did not vote for Walter Sullivan and that he ended up with the 1st vote as the ballot was changed," the woman's statement asserts.

Events Leading to Suspicion

The particular events which preceded the woman's suspicion, the statement says were: (1) the woman's first call to the Commission requesting a notary. (2) two hours later, the arrival of a man who said he was the notary sent by the Commission office. (3) his departure without sealing the outer envelope. (4) a message from the Commission saying a notary would be sent. "This made me suspicious," the statement says.

Continuing, the statement lists (5) a return call by the woman to the Commission office thanking them for sending a notary; at the same time, a Commission employee said the office had not sent any notary. Also, the statement says the man who came to the apartment offered to mail the ballot himself.

The District Attorney's office named Neil Colicchio, an assistant District Attorney, and Joseph F. Ahearn, a Detective Lieutenant with the State Police, to investigate the charges.