Soccer Team's Comeback Drive Overtakes Tough Terriers, 4-1

By Michael S. Lottman

Fighting back from a 1-0 deficit at intermission, the varsity soccer team put on a determined second-half drive and defeated a stubborn Boston University eleven, 4 to 1, yesterday in a home contest.

The Terriers caught coach Bruce Munro's squad thinking about Saturday's Ivy League game with Cornell and completely dominated play in the first two periods. B.U.'s extremely aggressive defense, led by fullback A1 Sozio and halfback Bob Hartshorn, consistently beat the Crimson forwards to the ball and controlled the middle of the field.

With 17:45 gone in the second quarter, Terrier wing Walt Katuschenko got by Crimson fullback Lanny Keyes and lofted a 25-yard crossing shot overs the arms of Tom Bagnoli to give B.U. a 1-0 lead. Keyes was playing with his right leg heavily taped and with orders to avoid contact. Even so, he was indispensable to the Crimson; Katuschenko was the only man to fool him all afternoon.

The varsity roared back in the second half, keeping pressure on the Terrier's defensive backfield. Finally, after 5:40 of relentless hammering, inside John Mudd tied the score after taking a well-directed head from center Ekpebu.

Less than five minutes later, inside Bruce Johnstone took a pass down the middle from halfback Bill Rapp and scored the varsity's second goal. Several near-misses followed, before John McIntosh, the Crimson's right wing, curved a corner kick around the goal post, making the score 3 to 1 with 2:01 left in the period.

Johnstone tallied again at 7:47 of the fourth quarter on a pass from inside Keith Lowe. Then Munro emptied the bench, sending 29 players into the fray.

Perhaps the man most essential to the Crimson's success was center halfback Rapp. In the midst of the varsity's tentative first-half efforts, he avoided disaster with his heads-up defensive play and sharp passes. Concentrating on offense during the last two periods, he set up the goal that put the Crimson ahead to stay, and was instrumental in keeping the ball in B.U. territory.

Once the team got started, it showed it will be a match for its Ivy League rivals this fall. The Cornell encounter could be the first step to the championship.