Affidavit Trespasses On Student Rights, Law Expert Claims

Harvard should refuse to administer the NDEA disclaimer affidavit, but should not refuse to admit a qualified student who has had to sign that affidavit in order to receive funds, Clark Byse, professor of Law, declared last night. In a speech sponsored by the School of Design, Byse reflected the principles upheld in yesterday's Corporation vote.

The University, Byse recommended, should try to get the National Science Foundation and other Health, Education, and Welfare departments to administer their own "affidavits of disbelief." If this course of action fails, the Administration should refuse to process the applications.

Any university which establishes a definite policy for administration of the affidavit, Byse asserted, infringes on the individual student's freedom. "If I, Sam Student, would be willing to take an oath to get a loan, who are you, Mr. Administration, to interfere with my decision?" he asked, showing part of the problem.

To instigate repeal of the affidavit, Byse would appeal to the public and to the universities, not to the courts. He agreed with President Pusey that the NDEA, even with its flaws, represents a constructive change in the American attitude towards education.