Architectural Renaissance

The University has dramatized the importance it attaches to the new Visual Arts Center in the most effective way possible by choosing Le Corbusier as its architect. One can expect with certainty that the new building will be an original and stimulating creation, a contrast to some of the more recent local construction.

The famed Swiss-born architect undoubtedly was influenced in his decision to accept the invitation by the special purpose and nature of the building, as well as by the presence here of Dean Sert, without whose efforts Le Corbusier's acceptance is inconceivable. The Center, as Le Corbusier remarked, "stands for everything I have worked for in my life."

Unique in its field, the new building is as notable as the choice of architect. It will fill an outstanding gap in the present curriculum, alleviating the almost total neglect of the non-verbal creative processes in the College.

No doubt Harvard's choice of Le Corbusier was made with an eye toward the recent activities of its rival in New Haven. Nevertheless his selection has served to recall the prominent place this University has held in the introduction of modern architecture in this country. Maybe the Quincy House crackerbox school is to be supplanted in Cambridge.