Committee on Houses Turns Down Proposals to Stop 'Dry' Cleaning

A proposal to abolish the "dry" cleaning corps of the student porter system has failed decisively to pass the Committee on Houses. As opposed to "wet" cleaners, who disinfect the bathrooms, the "drys" vacuum each room once a week.

According to Elliott Perkins, Master of Lowell House, the members of the Committee, which is comprised mostly of Masters, felt that the College should improve the service, rather than remove it. Students left to clean for themselves would hardly clean at all, said Perkins.

Set forth by Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, Manager of Operating Services, the idea suggested a means of saving approximately $20,000 on University operating procedures.

In contrast to Master Perkins, Trottenberg felt that the proposal represented "not a badly reasoned conservation of funds." Because the dry dorm crew removes only "surface dust," and that once a week, Trottenberg could not see its importance. "The cleanliness of the student room should depend on the student himself," he commented. Trottenberg plans to keep the idea under consideration.

According to Dustin M. Burke '52, Director of Student Employment, the proposal would have removed approximately 60 students from their jobs. Although Burke called the positions some of the best and highest paying in the University, he felt that his office could easily find other jobs for those students laid off.

Refusing to comment on the effectiveness of the present porter system, Burke stated that his office would readily comply with any decision of the Masters. He said also that students would undoubtedly benefit from "learning to keep their own nests clean."

The last major change in dormitory cleaning procedure was the abolition of maid service in 1953.