Encounter With Yale Policemen Causes Conflict Between 'Poonies

By Alexander Korns

Lampoon editors last night were contradictory in their evaluations of last Saturday's clash with the Yale police force, in which officers seized 300 copies of the 'Poon's parody football program while it was being distributed on the grounds of the Yale Bowl.

Despite the welter of conflicting testimony, however, the CRIMSON was able to reconstruct part of the story. Apparently a crew of 'Poon editors and candidates armed with New Haven vending licenses descended on the Connecticut city Saturday morning with the intention of distributing 3000 copies of their program.

The Lampoon was able to sell its production in New Haven without incident. But when the unsuspecting editors ventured onto the grounds of the Yale Bowl, technically in West Haven, the forewarned Yale police force swooped down on them and confiscated 300 parodies.

Editors Disagree

Lampoon editors do not agree upon the significance of the events at this point. One analysis was made last night by the vending expedition's angry leader, George Crawford '60, who accused Yale law enforcement officers of "using very poor judgement."

He claimed that no copies of the parodies had been sold on Bowl grounds when the confiscation occurred, and he asserted that the police action had seriously marred the expedition, "probably taking all the profit out of it." However, he said no effort would be made to recover the confiscated copies, since they would be of use only as "waste paper".

In contrast to Crawford, 'Poon President Edward Tarlov '60 took a broad view of the matter, laughing off the confiscation as a "pretty poor effort." He grounded his assertion on the fact that, despite police action, 'Poon candidates had been able to sell a large number of parodies on Bowl grounds. As for the 300 copies, he stated that they were being held in New Haven and would be reclaimed by the magazine this weekend.