Faculty Votes to Ask Refusal of NDEA Funds

Accepts Recommendation of CEP

By Peter J. Rothenberg

After more than four hours of discussion at two meetings, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences voted late yesterday to urge the Corporation to reject loan funds under the National Defense Education Act, pending repeal of the disclaimer affiavit.

The Faculty, by a voice vote, accepted verbatim a resolution on NDEA proposed almost three weeks ago by the Committee on Educational Policy. The present decision is only a recommendation, and any new University policy will have to come through a Corporation vote.

Vote Estimates Vary

Faculty members last night gave varying reports of the degree of opposition to the CEP resolution. Figures ranged from 10 to 30 per cent "nays," with most pointing out that the exact vote was impossible to determine in the crowded room.

At yesterday's meeting, President Pusey reportedly attempted to ascertain (through a series of votes) just where the Faculty would draw the line at University participation in programs with affidavits attached.

The result, according to Faculty sources, fell somewhat short of outright rejection of all affidavits. Some professors commented that the multiplicity of votes was "bewildering" and that no one really knew precisely what had happened.

NSF Act Debated

Much discussion yesterday reportedly centered on the National Science Foundation Act, which requires an affidavit not administered directly by the University. According to one Faculty member, a sizable group would favor withdrawal from this program too, were it not for the "hardship" that would be inflicted on students already receiving NSF funds.