GSAS Will Continue NSF Processing; GSE Urges Suspension of NDEA Funds

Administration Urged To Seek Elimination Of Loyalty Oath

The faculty of the Graduate School of Education Yesterday "very strongly supported" a resolution urging the Corporation not to use NDEA Title II loan funds until the affidavit requirement is removed, and not to participate in any other Federal program in which the University must take administrative responsibility for similar affidavits.

In addition, the faculty expressed its "strong hope" that Harvard, in association with other universities, will "explore every possible means, and take appropriate action, towards seeking removal of Affidavits of Disbelief and Loyalty Oaths as a condition of Federal support."

Alternatives

At its meeting, the faculty considered three alternative resolutions. Of the other two, one urged that the Corporation not use funds until both the affidavit and oath requirements were removed; and a second--echoing President Pusey's position before he froze the University's NDEA funds last September--that the Corporation "continue to cooperate in the administration of Federal programs aiding education, including those which require a Loyalty Oath and Affidavit of Disbelief."

So far, the Graduate School of Education is the only University department to receive NDEA loan funds--$26,807 of Federal money, and the required $2,979 of matching Harvard funds. The Faculty's action coincides with the resolution of the Committee on Educational Policy, which the Faculty of Arts and Sciences approved on Tuesday.