Estate Gives $1.5 Million For Forestry, Neurology

By Pauline A. Rubbelke

A gift of nearly $1.5 million has been given the University for studies in Forestry and Neurology. The funds, from the estate of the late Katherine E. Bullard, will provide for a new professorship in Forestry and research in both Forestry and Neurology.

Hugh M. Raup, professor of Botany and Director of the Harvard Forest, has been named to the new Charles Bullard Professorship of Forestry, named in honor of one of Miss Bullard's brothers.

Funds are provided for research for the "advancement of the theory and practice of forestry."

The Stephen Bullard Memorial Fund, which also honors one of Miss Bullard's brothers, will be used at the Medical School for "the advancement of research in neurological development." This grant was made directly to the Department of Neurology; it was not made for any specific project.

Commenting on Miss Bullard's gift to the Medical School, Dean George Packard Berry said, "Miss Bullard's interest in supporting research in the field of neurology at the Harvard Medical School will not only greatly strengthen existing activities but also foster research in new areas of basic science as applied to neurological problems."

During the past half century the Bullard family has endowed several departments and institutions of the University, especially the Medical School. There is a Bullard Professorship of Neuropathology at the Medical School, which was established by Louisa Norton Bullard and her children in memory of her husband, William Story Bullard, a Boston merchant prominent in the East India trade.