Boulris Receives Wendell Award At Annual Baseball Team Dinner

Chester J. Boulris '60, received the Barrett Wendall Bat, awarded to the best offensive player on the baseball team, at the squad's post-season banquet last night at the Varsity Club. The trophy is given annually to the member of the varsity who has the most total hits, runs, runs batted in, stolen bases, sacrifices, and bases on balls.

Boulris, last year's third baseman, also won the football team's most valuable player award last week.

Baseball's MVP trophy was won last season by George N. Harrington '59, an outstanding second baseman and one of the team's leading hitters. Harrington, also voted the most valuable player in basketball last season, was not present to accept the award.

Henry N. Lamar, freshman football coach, presented the awards, substituting for varsity coach Norman W. Shepard, who was unable to attend. Lamar, quoting from Shepard's prepared speech, said that Boulris' name "will be high in the annals of Harvard baseball." Harrington was said "to possess all the qualities of Dana J.P. Wingate, for whom the award is named."

Lamar went on to review the 1959 season, during which the varsity won the Greater Boston Trophy, the Big Three title, and the Yale series.

Also introduced by toastmaster Carroll F. Getchell, secretary of the Varsity Club and former HAA business manager, were Thomas D. Bolles, Director of Athletics, Donald M. Felt '49, assistant director of athletics, and F. Alexander Bell, junior varsity coach, all of whom congratulated the team and commented on the season.

Reviewing his sason Adolph W. Sambroski '25, freshman coach, said that last season he had several of the best defensive ball players he had seen at the College.

The other featured speaker at the affair was William T. Reid, Jr. '01, one of the College's most successful baseball coaches. A well-known catcher in his day, he offered advice to the varsity, junior varsity, and freshman baseball players attending the affair.