Varsity Swimmers to Face Strong Dartmouth Squad

By Thomas M. Pepper

The varsity swimming team will face its toughest match of the season, excluding the Yale meet, against Dartmouth tonight in the I.A.B. starting at 8:30. The Freshman contest with the Lion Freshmen begins at 7:30.

Both varsity teams are very evenly matched. Swimming ability and numerous extraneous factors such as the home pool, the order of the races, and the score at particular points in the meet will contribute to a tense contest.

The closest races will be in the 50 and 100-yard freestyles, where Bruce Hunter, almost unchallenged thus far this season, will face the Lion's Charlie Brown. Both have been timed at 22.8. in the 50, but Hunter holds a slight edge in the 100.

Dartmouth also is strong in the 220 and 440-yard freestyles in the person of John Daniels. Against him will be some combination of Koni Ulbrich, Fred Cooley, and Dave Seaton in the 220 and Bob Komanda in the 440. The Lion's third big strength is the dive, where the use of a low board favors the Lion's Stew Summers and Glenn Gemelli over Chick Montgomery. The home pool factor, however, may be able to offset this and break up the Dartmouth combination.

Crimson bright spots are the back stroke, with Bill Murray and Gary Pildner against Pete Anderson, a smooth functioning medley relay team, and a potentially superb breast stroke combination in Jim Stanley and Doug McCartney. The latter two will have another dog-fight for first place, and both have been improving of late.

The 220-yard butterfly remains in doubt, and the personnel, namely captain John Hammond's status, will not be known until the time of the race itself. Hammond was sick earlier this season, thus far usually swimming only in the medley. The final relay, which very well may decide the meet will consist of the Crimson's best--Ulbrich, the two Seatons, and Hunter.