'Cliffe Couture

In these days of high fashion and anti-recession spending, America expects every tasteful consumer to do his bit. Women, too, with their majority holding in the nation's private wealth, must cooperate if these campaigns are to succeed. Radcliffe, unfortunately, is not pulling its oar.

Indeed, it must be admitted that Radcliffe has not brought the chemise to Cambridge. Not only is it not assuming an exemplary role in introducing this mode, but it seems to be bucking the prevailing national trend. Spokesmen for the garment industries report peak sales of the baggy look across the country. Everywhere but in Cambridge, women, mounted on pointed Italian shoes, are getting into their loose sacks. Only here are flats and contour clothes holding their own.

There can be only two explanations, unless our neighbors are women of little faith and have no confidence in the economy. The first, that they are unaware of fashion changes, is intolerable. To impugn their sartorial sensitivity would be to question their femininity. The second is that they consider the new style unflattering. But surely the structure of the average 'Cliffe must at least resemble that of her Parisian sister. The shapeless look and an elbow-length sleeve would certainly be a refreshing change in many cases, and in some respects the 'Cliffes would have less to lose than their counterparts elsewhere.

In defence of Radcliffe's hesitancy, however, it should be said that a universal raising of hemlines might be too much of a good thing. Indeed, it has been one of winter's silver linings that the skirt always began before the sock left off.

Clearly, then, what is needed in Cambridge is something which exploits the cover-all quality of the sack. Let us look to Radcliffe for a modified chemise. We might even get a silk purse.