Swimming Team Defeats Indians; Yardlings Set Six New Records

By Thomas M. Pepper

In passing Dartmouth's Don Baker seven yards before the finish of the 200-yard butterfly, Crimson captain John Hammond climaxed an entire team effort that defeated the Indians 54 to 32, and turned back the unbeaten varsity's sternest challenge to date.

An hour earlier, the freshman team handily whipped the Dartmouth freshmen, 60 to 26, breaking five Harvard freshman records and one University record in the process.

Hammond's win in the fly, after nearly coming off a sick bed to do so, pointed up a magnificent team display. Trailing for most of the race, the varsity captain drove with a tremendous push for the final lap to pass Baker short of the finish.

Bruce Hunter zipped through the 50-and 100-yard freestyles in excellent times. Diver Chick Montgomery, performing on a low board, defeated two strong Dartmouth men.

By carefully shuffling his personnel, coach Bill Brooks used his available talent for successful results. Dick Seaton won the 220-yard freestyle and Koni Ulbrich took two third places in the freestyle sprints. In the 200-yard breast-stroke Jim Stanley and Doug McCartney swept first and second and the medley relay team of Gary Pildner, Stanley, Hammond, and Dave Seaton kept a winning distance ahead of the Indians.

In the freshman meet, Fred Elizalde broke the University record in the 200-yard butterfly, swimming a 2:13.3. This time, along with Bill Zentgraff's 4:57.3 in the 440-yard freestyle, broke two college records set by the present freshman coach, Dave Hawkins. Elizalde's is a University record, Zentgraff's a freshman mark.

In addition, the medley relay team of Bob Kaufmann, Stuart Parsons, Elizalde, and Ian Finlayson broke the freshman record, as did Hank Southall in the 220-yard freestyle, Kaufmann in the 100-yard freestyle, and Norris Eisenbrey in the backstroke.