Crimson Sextet Wins By Last-Second Tally Over Providence, 4-3

A goal at 19:59 of the third period, the emergence of a rejuvenated second line, and Billy Collins were most of the story in the varsity hockey team's 4-3 victory at Providence College last night.

Dick Fischer contributed the winning marker, the first goal of the evening for the first line. He took a pass from Bud Higginbottom, who somehow managed to grab the rebound from Mike Graney's shot from the midst of a scramble. Fischer blasted away from about five feet and the Crimson had its second consecutive last-second goal.

It was a rough night for the first trio until then. All three Friar goals were tallied while they were on the ice, as has been the case often this season. Fischer, Higginbottom and Dave Vietze, neverthe-less, were most consistent in bombarding Jim Toomey during the night, but their plays did not click. In the third period alone the first line launched eleven shots on goal.

Another surprise was the way Cooney Weiland handled his second and third lines. The coach shuffled his personnel with greater abandon than Casey Stengel, having Les Duncan, Bob Anderson, Greg Downes, Crocker Snow and Dick Reilly at center at one time or another. The trio that was the most successful, however, was Duncan, Collins and Paul Kelley.

Collins, a senior, was playing his first game for the varsity this season, and Kelley only his second since early De- cember. The former hadn't contributed a goal since opening the scoring at Yale last year, but tonight collaborated with his new line-mates for a goal, and an assist. A third goal was produced by the line midway through the final period, but was disallowed when Kelley skated through the crease after the shot was taken. The rules, however, state than a goal is to be disallowed only when a player is in the crease before the shot.


The Crimson opened the scoring at 10:03 of the first period when Collins took a pass from Kelley at the corner of the cage and powered both the puck and the goalie into the cage. The Friars tied the game two minutes later when they were a man down