Councilors Hold Hearing on Plan For Walker St.

A proposal to close part of Walker St. to provide additional land for the new Peabody School was sent to the City Council's Finance Committee yesterday after the full Council heard public discussion of the proposal.

Architect Hugh A. Stubbins' "pre-preliminary studies" for the new school have indicated the advisability of closing 211 feet of the street at the Linnean St. end, according to City Manager John J. Gurry '19.

Appearing as attorney for Radcliffe, Robert I. Hunneman '28 opposed the proposal on the grounds that it would cause "serious congestion." He pointed out that it would block off or force relocation of a much-used service driveway near Comstock Hall.

But the proposal won support from a representative of the Peabody School P.T.A., and limited approval from a resident of the street, who suggested that parking be limited to one side of the road.

Council opposition to the proposal came from Edward J. Sullivan, who suggested investigation of the possibility of renovating the present school building, and from John D. Lynch, who proposed that Radcliffe suggest to Harvard the possibility of donating some of its Observatory Hill property for the school. To Lynch's proposal, Hunneman replied that the Cliffe has its "own troubles with Harvard."