Record-Breaking 1200 Will Join Class of '63

Bundy Policy to End Forced Commuting

By Craig K. Comstock

The Class of '63 will include "at least 50 and perhaps 75 more students" than its immediate predecessor, Dean Bender revealed yesterday. This increase of around five per cent means that a record-breaking class of over 1200 will enroll in September.

Dean Bundy announced this decision to Bender as the Admissions Committee began its fortnight-long task of evaluating thousands of applications. In the past, Bundy has provided a "definite target to shoot for," said Bender, but this year he gave the Committee only a "tentative working figure, subject to revision."

Forced Commuting Eliminated

In a second important move, Bundy specified that no applicant would be accepted this year only on the condition that he live at home or in acceptable local lodgings. "Forced commuting," unpopular with Administration and students alike, is thus eliminated.

Bender said that the Admissions Committee will "go through our docket"--with special attention to applications from voluntary commuters--and then report back to Bundy, who will make the final decision on how many students to admit.

The situation is further complicated by the rapid upward trend of Advanced Placement students. In the last three year, participants in this program have increased from 13 to 31 to 55, and this trend, said Bender, "indicates that we may have around 80 Advanced Placement students" enrolling this fall.