Lamont Will Close Later During May

As a result of a decision by the Faculty Committee on the Libraries, Lamont Library will now be open until midnight on the last three Saturdays of each semester, and will regularly be open on Columbus Day, Veterans Day and Washington's Birthday.

The decision to open Lamont on the three holidays resulted from a recent experiment. On Columbus Day last fall, when Lamont was closed, the House libaries and Widener were so overcrowded that the Committee decided to try opening Lamont on Veterans Day and Washington's Birthday. The Committee concluded that the change should become permanent policy when it was found that students had used Lamont as usual.

Council Made Request

The Student Council made the original request for extension of Lamont hours. At present, the Council is also requesting an extension of parietal hours and will poll students on the subject before the end of the month.

When Albert L. Jacobs '61, a member of the Student Council, spoke to the Masters about extending parietal hours on Friday nights, they told him they opposed extension because it would displace roommates who do not have guests, diminish the atmosphere of a men's school, and prevent students from preparing for Saturday classes.

The Masters said, however, that if students were told of these arguments and still supported extension, they would be interested in considering changes. As a result, the Council will publish the Masters' objections on the forthcoming poll.